5.21.2004

Do You Like Jazz???

No...this is not a reference to a crude gesture of Jim Carey in "Bruce Almighty," but it stems from conversation I had with Greg Pirtle, the youth and student minister here at ND. We were talking about PostModernism, and authors like Brian McLaren who have written about it as well as books we might like to read and he showed and read to me the Author's note from a book called "Blue Like Jazz," by Donald Miller. Listen to these few words.

"I never liked jazz music becuase jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing a saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes. AFter that, I liked jazz music. (LISTEN TO THIS NEXT SENTENCE) SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WATCH SOMEBODY LOVE SOMETHING BEFORE YOU CAN LOVE IT YOURSELF. IT IS AS IF THEY ARE SHOWING YOU THE WAY. I used to not like God because God doesn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.

Listen to that again and think about how it might apply to our relationship to God, or to Worship...the possibilities are endless!!

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WATCH SOMEBODY LOVE SOMETHING BEFORE YOU CAN LOVE IT YOURSELF. IT IS AS IF THEY ARE SHOWING YOU THE WAY.

No comments:

About Me

Arlington, Texas, United States